1. Private sales: To gain access to private sales you sign up for the designer's mailing list and they'll send you notifications of sales coming up. Some stores require you to make a purchase but not all. Kate Spade and Tory Burch have amazing private sales and I love perusing their sites!
2. Birthday Specials: These are my absolute favourite. Some designers will reward you for shopping with them by giving you a gift on your birthday. For example Sephora gives you a free gift (once you become a Beauty Insider) and Tory Burch will gift you 50 dollars to spend on anything! (Valid for the month of your birthday)
3. Sample Sales: These are a little trickier because you need to find a good sample sale host that comes to your city. I always go to 'The Sample Sale Guys' when they come to Calgary and I love them. (To keep up to date with these find a group on Facebook and 'like' them.)
4. Discount Shops: There are loads of stores to find your favourite designer at a discounted price. Winners, Marshals and TJ Maxx are good if you're ready to hunt for you favourite designer. If you live in the U.S. you can head over to Nordstrom Rack, Barney's Warehouse, Saks Fifth Avenue off 5th and Neiman Marcus Last Call, these are my top stores to visit when I'm in the states.
5. Discount Online Shops/Apps: There are a ton of apps out there that allow you to find deals while you're out and about. Hautelook and Gilt are my two favourites because they always have my favourite designers on sale. Nordstrom Rack, Barney's Warehouse, Saks Fifth Avenue off 5th and Neiman Marcus Last Call all have online websites with fabulous deals. (I frequently shop at Barney's Warehouse)